Conversion Rate Optimization
In internet marketing, conversion optimization, or conversion rate optimization (CRO) is a system for increasing the percentage of visitors to a website that convert into customers, or more generally, take any desired action on a webpage. It is commonly referred to as CRO.
Online conversion rate optimization (or website optimization) was born out of the need of e-commerce marketers to improve their website’s performance. As competition grew on the web during the early 2000s, website analysis tools and an awareness of website usability prompted internet marketers to produce measurables for their tactics and improve their website’s user experience.
Conversion Rate Optimization Is…
- A structured and systematic approach to improving the performance of your website
- Informed by insights—specifically, analytics and user feedback
- Defined by your website’s unique objectives and needs (KPIs)
- Taking the traffic you already have and making the most of it
Conversion Rate Optimization Is Not…
- Based on guesses, hunches, or what everyone else is doing
- Driven by the highest paid person’s opinion
- About getting as many users as possible, regardless of quality or engagement